Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Treasures

As the men have been working upstairs in our attic they have found some true treasures! These items have been buried in the insulation. They were all found separately on different days, so I pretty much live for what they will find each day!
1. A letter from Elburg in Prussia
February 10, 1903
2. 1897 Webster Dictionary with handwritten addresses in back
3.1883 encased Indian penny
4. Wooden clothes pin
5. An infant bootie
6. Antique bird feeder
























For those that are interested here is a bit from the letter...

"My beloved Mother,

There is little news today that I was tempted to send merely a card. But a card is a poor stick of a thing to say anything on especially when the receiver is expecting to hear something. So I will write a letter today just to keep up the deception a little longer, or for this time at least."

You want more?!

There is a lot of beautiful writing in the letter that I can't help but salivate over! It is like my own mystery! ( I also recently read The Forgotten Garden, which isn't helping) These buried treasures were in the attic and I don't know who they belong to, but you can bet I will find out! The letter talks about a Bishop Emery. There is an Emery family in our ward now that I'm curious if they have record of there family living in the neighborhood in the early 1900s. This home was build in 1913 and there have been three owners to my knowledge. Patch Family, Roscher Family and ???! I'm going to find out and I'll let you know! If you have any advice on how to go about my detective work I would appreciate the direction. I just know I'm not going to the state street pawn shop next to Big Deluxe Tattoo! :)

6 comments:

allegra said...

oh wow that is SOOO cool! how fun to be discovering some history about your house and those previous living in it! i love the character, history, just the overall "feel" of old houses! how fun you get to make it new with remodels though too. a great mix of the old and new! you have such cute taste, I know it will look fantastic.

i hope your detective work finds something cool. keep us posted!

the letters you found are the best part. i love hand written letters. why don't people do that much anymore? something about a hand written note is just so much better than stupid email and texting!!

Karly said...

That little infant shoe just melts my heart! You look so happy being pregnant. Those photos actually make me miss being pregnant... What? I swore I would never say those words!

Karen said...

Awesome treasures. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them. How did you know it was an antique bird feeder? I had no clue.

Jewels said...

Oh my goodness, how fascinating!! I am so jealous, what amazing finds. Old things like that letter and dictionary just captivate me - it's so interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally dying right now! I love a good mystery! My uncle is an A-mazing historian, I'll tell him about your letter and see what he suggests you do to find out more. So cool! I hope you come to book club after you have your baby girl so we can see you both! Your house is looking fantastic and I can't wait to see how it all turns out. Take care gorgeous girl!

mer and josh said...

WOw. what a fun mystery. keep me updated. Congrats today!!! can't wait to see the darling gal!