Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sick Day


(This isn't right?!?)

Graham and I are home from church. We are both sick. We have both been trying to get better for two weeks and it seems to keep coming back or never leaving. Graham has been wheezing pretty bad and the doctor think he has Asthma. I know it is pretty common, but I feel bad for the little man because he has the triphecta... Eczema, Allergies and Asthma. The doc said they do usually grow out of it, but when he gets a virus or allergies it seems to go straight to his lungs. He has had this cough that has now turned into Bronchitis. So we decided to stay home to say the least.

Me on the other hand I've been trying to hang on. About two weeks ago I came down with a cold, sore throat, etc. But then while I was teaching harp I started to have a POTS episode. My arms and hands went numb. I couldn't use my fingers. My heart was beating funny and fast. My lips started to tingle. I was scared. I haven't felt that way in a really long time. I deal with my normal day to day issues with POTS- the tachycardia, fatigue, dizziness and general desire to feel better, but this was different. I left book club that night after trying to keep going all day and pretend it was going to get better. I drove to my in-laws and they helped me contact my doctor and drove Graham and I back to Salt Lake. I hope they know how much that meant to me. I love them!

So I started to rest and get over the virus. It seems that whenever I'm sick my POTS is worse. The doctor told me it would be and I know it to be true. Then I got reprimanded by my sweet doctor. He told me I'm doing too much and that I need to slow down. He said I "think" I can do a lot, but my body is still fragile.

I'm almost glad for the excuse to take it easy. I have not been feeling great and this allows me to justify my favorite thing... a nap! I promised Dr. W that I would slow down and not skip my pills (oops).

Well... this week has been so busy. I've almost had to drive to Provo every day to help my harp students prepare for Harp Festival next week. I think I over did it. I have a bad sore throat and I decided to follow the doctors orders and take it easy today. Wish us well!

Graham and I are watching Shrek! Happy Sabbath!

5 comments:

Tayva said...

Happy Sabbath! I'm glad you're truly having a Day of Rest---sometimes we're not in total control of when we can slow down. I like the adage (one of my favorites): "a good housekeeper knows when to wash her windows and when to pull her drapes." Maybe it's good to have the physical reminders to take it easy, otherwise, you'd keep going 100 mph! I hope you get in two naps today! XO

megan said...

Oh Jess I am glad that you are resting. I wish I was closer to bring you some dinner and pick up Graham for a few hours. Take it easy Woman. Need to see you soon. Maybe after your busy week. Loves!!!

sumthinghappened said...

Darn it! All the times we have talked this week and you haven't mentioned being sick once! Hang in there, rest and get better soon! Looking forward to your visit!

Karen said...

The picture cracks me up! love to you and your family. Rob had the same triple threat as Graham... only his excema was horrible. He still has issues sometimes but most of the time has learned how to control it.

McGuire's said...

Sorry you haven't been feeling well. Looks like this was a few days ago, so I hope you and Graham are feeling better now!