Monday, May 3, 2010

3 Saturdays Ago




(sista, sista)


Suz had been asking me to go skiing with her all winter and it took a lot of planning to go. I had to sleep at my parents so they could watch Graham (Marty was working) and gather all my ski stuff (???) and be ready to go by 830 (the mornings are my hardest). But we did it! We made it out the door with a hodge-podge of ski accessories and breakfast in our bellies.

I had nice skis and boots, but everything else was hilarious. I could not find my ski bag with all my stuff in it ANYWHERE! So I was stuck with other winter wears. For example, I found gloves, red ones and my Mom said, "Aren't those from 7th grade? "
Yes Mom... they are from 7th grade.

My hat was cute, but not functional. See those holes? It got super windy up top and Suz gave me her gaiter for my head. I would have died with out it! I also had a real issue with my pants. I grabbed the ski pant LINERS not the actual pants. So they were waterproof which was good, but there were pockets on the sides that had no zipper, no Velcro, no mechanism of closure at all. So it was just a single layer against the elements. I got some safety pins and closed them shut, but that was a flappy closure. In the end, I was saved by tape; packing tape. A nice tight seal and I was off having a wonderful day. Not cold a bit.



But the whole day I just couldn't believe myself. My Dad had taught me better than that.

Be prepared!

Be sure you have all the proper equipment. You can always take off a layer if your too hot. If your head is warm, your body will be too!

It was so funny. All these tiny little things that I know so well kept popping into my head the whole day and I couldn't believe I had forgotten.

Maybe it is because I only ski once a year, but lesson RE-learned!
Be prepared!

ps. Suz and I had an amazing time! We skied most of the day and ate a delicious lunch (my favorite part of the day) and shared a big brownie! Love you Suz and thanks for the invite!

pps. Suz was overly prepared and she shared. Thanks Suz!

5 comments:

Tayva said...

So, are you guys amazing or what??!!! I'm so proud that you made 'snow cones' out of 'snow'--or something close! There you were, not quite prepared, but went and had a fabulous time just the same; and you both look great in your close up! Way to go! XO's

Brian said...

Look at the top picture of this post, then look at the picture of Graham exactly to the left of this top picture. Do you see any family resemblance between mother and child?

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...

Chelsea Anne said...

um I have closets full of ski clothes. Why didn't you call?

McGuire's said...

I go about once every 4 years. Such a sad thing, and i have no idea where any of my ski stuff are now. Glad you got to go!

Suzy said...

I loved that day! Sure beats skiing alone! Let's go next year and get beef stew and Salad! Yummy...