Friday, April 3, 2009

Macbeth

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

We just got home from Macbeth and it has made me think.
It was an intense play that I have never seen before.
I don't have the energy to do a catch-up post tonight, but I will soon. For now I'm just grateful for my husband and my baby. We will continue to avoid the troubles of the world the best we can. But ponder this quote from the 2006 Ensign.

Zion in the Midst of Babylon

Elder David R. Stone
Of the Seventy

"Last summer, my wife and I had the opportunity to travel to San Diego, California, and there see Shakespeare’s Macbeth at the Old Globe Theatre. We saw two performances, because our daughter Carolyn was playing the part of one of the three witches in that play. Of course, we were delighted to see her in the play and even more delighted when, at a dramatic moment, she said those famous lines: “By the pricking of my thumbs, / Something wicked this way comes” (act 4, scene 1, lines 40–41).

When I heard that, I thought how useful it would be to have an early-warning system which would tell us about the approach of evil and allow us to be prepared for it. Evil is coming toward us, whether or not we have an early-warning system."


To think about the wickedness in the world can be very frightening. When I think of Graham and needing to protect him I worry that I will not be able to. But then I remember the promises and blessings of the Gospel and I feel safer. For now I will cherish this innocent, precious boy.

He is kind of like a Doctor, he fixes most of my problems!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Shakespeare's amazing...love him & that post. Graham is turning into quite the little boy, post more pictures! Hope you're doing well. xoxo

Karen said...

I feel very uncultured when it comes to Shakespeare.

It's amazing to watch kids these days. They are different than kids even 15 years ago. They seem more strong willed and determined. I think Heavenly Father saved them for now because they had gifts and abilities and the personalities they would need to stay valiant in an increasingly wicked world. Train up a child in the way he should go... an excellent promise. You and Marty are already doing the very best thing...living the gospel.

sumthinghappened said...

Hey Graham, you look cute! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks! Your going to love our house, it's littered with toys!