Saturday, November 8, 2008

Delicious!

I realize I don't post very often about cooking, which is funny because I cook all the time and love it! My Grandma Sumsion was an amazing cook and would make feasts full of flavor and love. I would look forward to Sunday dinner at her home each week, especially her famous mashed pototoes. My own mother is a wonderful cook and has been my go-to gal for cooking questions as I've learned to cook and bake over the last several years. So I've decided I'm going to start posting great finds like this family recipe. It was my Aunt's, Madeline Westover, another amazing family cook, made famous for her Make-a-Mix cookbooks. This recipe comes from Home Cooking on Your Own. It is festive treat that's not only delicious to eat, but makes your home smell like the holidays! Enjoy!

Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce

1 1/2 cups flour

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup hot water
Lemon Sauce (below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 8-inch square cake pan combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Mix well with a fork. In a small bowl combine butter or margarine, egg, molasses and hot water. Add to dry ingredients and stir with a fork until batter is well mixed. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until done. Top with hot Lemon Sauce.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 30 to 35 minutes



Lemon Sauce


1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup hot water
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons lemon juice

In a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat, and add butter and lemon juice. Stir untill butter is melted. Serve over warm gingerbread.

Variations:
Instead of Lemon Sauce, top warm gingerbread with sweetened whipped cream and sliced bananas or peaches.

I like the Lemon Suace and the whipped cream!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jess-I can't wait to make this! I can't believe you love cooking so much! I am so jealous! I have tried to change my attitude about it so many times! Maybe this next year will be different! :)

hayleyrowan said...

i'm so glad you're posting this. i need cooking help. this sounds really yummy.

megan said...

YUMMMM I can't wait to try this I love warm bread in the fall. Fun to run into you last night. :)

kim huish said...

I think I'm going to have to make this. I love gingerbread with lemon sauce! Thanks!

s.niccoli said...

i will have to try this one! i love nothing more than when my house smells like the holidays!