Monday, April 25, 2011

Asbestos


(Image from the internet:))

Well, it is true. The moment I saw those popcorn ceilings (almost two years ago) in the house I knew they were going to be a problem. Last week we took a piece to be tested before we have the ceilings removed and sure enough it has ASBESTOS! If you don't know about asbestos... in a nutshell it can cause cancer in high doses and over long periods of time. But if the material is in good shape, it is not dangerous and can be left intact. Well, we already disturbed the ceilings when we cut through for air conditioning so we really didn't know what to do because the cost and involvement of its removal is huge!

But I believe I found my answer from a very nice man at the the Salt Lake City Health Department. He said we can take care of the ceilings ourselves by either painting them and sealing them in... or covering them with sheet rock. Because it isn't dangerous unless it is flaking off, etc. So we are exciting there is in a solution that will be safe for our family.

Anyone ever dealt with asbestos in popcorn ceilings?
.
.
.

The sheet rocking of the attic is being finished today and I'll post pictures soon!
It is looking good!

3 comments:

Jessie Eyre said...

I just want to comment about your birth story...I birthed my second naturally, too, and as I sat crying while I read your story, it was mostly because I know EXACTLY how you felt! I remember not being embarrassed about my deep,loud,crazy-woman moans toward the end, but being embarrassed that other people were probably worried for me. I remember being in total shock after pushing him out and trying to decide if I was crying because I was so excited he was in my arms or because I honestly thought I was going to die two minutes before that.
At any rate, I'm so proud of you. You'd do it again, right?! I certainly will. Penelope is so beautiful, just like her mama.

--Jessie (Nichols) Eyre

Chelsea Anne said...

I think you need an update. Mostly because your lazy friend hasn't been up to see Penny or your house in a long while. That, of course, has everything to do with my laziness and zero to do with my love for you:)

Are you done with SLC already????

Karly said...

I know your are probably so busy but we are moving to SLC in a couple weeks and would love to come say hi