Monday, February 8, 2010

A Sabbath Tale


Graham was so wild at church yesterday that I thought I should record this story for all woman-kind.


We have sacrament meeting last and Graham is always very tired after having a wonderful time in Nursery. We go and sit down, near the back of our small chapel. Our chapel is very unique because it is stadium seating- no benches and there is a bit of a decline from the back to the front. After we had already taken Graham out once and brought him back in again we let him just stand by the side of our row. He seemed to just want to look around and smile at people. But then I hear “3, 2, 1… go!” from Graham! Before I could even register he was half way down the aisle. I start walking quickly for him and he turns for the front. We both are colliding with the young men as they begin passing the sacrament and half way up the other side I catch him. I try and smile and hide the fact that I’m sweating and so embarrassed. So after all that I go into another room because he is kicking and screaming because he wants to run around. Towards the end of the meeting I ask him if he wants to go and sit by Daddy and draw. He says, “oh yes!” So I think we are good. As we are entering the chapel I’m looking for our seats and Graham scrambles out of my arms. He starts the “3,2,1 … go!” again. I lunge after him, because I’m not planning on running another lap, and I FALL in the aisle. It was awesome! I think I was so weak and tired from fasting that when I stepped forward to grab him I just collapsed. We went back in the hall and all I wanted to do was go home, but we went up to the Nursery and played while I calmed down and remember that Graham is darling and that he is just tired. We came home and put Graham to bed and I took a much-needed rest.

The End



12 comments:

Tayva said...

Oh, dear Jess! You are such a good and patient mother! I was much more likely to either stay home or thump them or something. I mean, they turned out GREAT!--but you're amazing. Besides, think of all the tales the members have when Graham is 16? He'll be awesome and they'll tell him, "I remember when you were just this little kid running in the aisle at Church! Now look at you!"

Natalie said...

I love you Jess. You are amazing and Graham is so blessed to have you...I'm glad you're documenting this story it will be one to remember for sure. xoxo

megan said...

Graham gone wild I love it. Holy cow Jess that is funny. So great that you are writing these things down. It will be fun to share with his prom date for sure. Super cute!!

Laura said...

Oh my, what a day! I'm glad you got a nap after all that!!

Meg said...

Too funny...Total boy!

Karen said...

And you lived to tell the tale!

ps my word verification is roming...
not spelled right but still fitting

Lindsey said...

I'm so sorry that I laughed through this whole post! I'm sorry because I know SO WELL how you feel. It always makes me feel better when I talk to other moms and they don't even notice the craziness that went on with our kids because they felt like they were dealing with the same thing!

Kim said...

I love it! (in a very sorry way!) It is times like this when it is always nice to remember that we all have those moments.

{lindy baker cakes} said...

Jessie,
I'm sorry that I'm laughing, but this is so funny. What a cute little guy.

McGuire's said...

Sorry, I was laughing through the post. So funny. I so know the feeling when you want to run out of the church doors from embarrassment from your kids. Halle last week hit my face as I was trying to calmly walk out to foyer in my high heels as she's throwing a fit. So fun! I want to see your house!

Errolyn said...

Hi! Loving your blog, and this particular entry is a keeper :) I can't imagine trying to keep all of our church stuff/toys from rolling away on a sloped floor!

Brittany Simmons said...

Jessie, I found your blog through Chels and it is so fun to see what you and Marty and cute little boy Graham are up to! I have to laugh and stories like this (and your post about the 10 things Graham did in one day all with you right there)...b/c i can totally relate! Our Jack is so sweet, but very curious and energetic! I must say though that little boys are the best and they certainly keep us laughing!